Black sun is a natural phenomenon that can only be experienced twice a year. Spring and autumn. Black sun is experience we all think at least once must experience!
This video just adds a fraction of the magical and artistic natural phenomenon:
Black sun with overnight stay
If you would like to enrich yourself with this unique and absolutely amazing experience, you will benefit from staying with us.
When is there black sun?
The starlings draw in the spring from February to mid-April, and in autumn they begin in August and can sometimes last all the way to December. If you want to be absolutely sure, please contact us and we can give a very specific answer.
Where to see black sun?
You can actually see black sun in many places in southern and western Jutland, but the largest and most beautiful takes place in Tøndermarsken, with over 1.2 million starlings.
Here is an overview of places to see black sun, as well as the estimated number of starlings.
At Wadden Sea Camping we often see guests who choose to go on holiday with the bike as the primary means of transport, or cycling guests who oversday a few days. We can also understand why: it adds an additional layer of experience to the camping holiday, with exercise and freedom.
Wadden Sea camping is located as our name suggests, in the middle of the Danish Wadden Sea National Park, which offers fantastic scenic bike paths and routes.
If you come on your bike and want to stay overnight, you can rent both cabins and tent space at wading sea camping.
Are you even-willing and would you like to experience West Jutland in a different way? Then the Vestkysruten will be a great way to experience the wading sea. Of course, you do not need to drive the 560 km of the route, but you could usefully drive the route to the south, starting from Højer/Wadden Sea camping.
Details of the route can be found here:
Packing list for cycling holidays
A successful and comfortable cycling holiday starts even before you get up on the saddle and pedal. You have to have packed all the necessary things that make your holiday as good as possible, as well as the necessary practical things to ensure that you have the necessary things to deal with.
Before we get to the packing list itself, we have a few tips that can be good to follow:
Advice 1: Pack lightly
Try to limit yourself to one carrier bag. Avoiding unnecessary heavy bags is essential for a treating bicycle holiday, therefore you can, as a good inch finger rule, stick to one carrier bag per. Person.
Advice 2: Quick-drying clothes
On most bike rides you are on the go and you don't have much time for washing and drying. Especially when you are on a cycling holiday in Denmark, where the weather can sometimes be unstable and sometimes very wet, it is a good idea to use to dress with quick-drying clothes. This applies to themselves as well as underwear and outerwear.
Advice 3: Ways to pack with limited storage space
- Fill hollow objects (like shoes, helmets and water bottles) with other small things (socks, phone charger, etc.). No unused space!
- Roll the clothes to remove air and reduce space wastage.
- Mule bags are another helpful packing organizer.
The packing list itself:
- 2 pairs of cycling shorts (we recommend padded shorts and that you try them before your holiday)
- 2 cycling sweaters (quick drying)
- 2 pairs of quick-dry socks for cycling
- Comfortable shoes for cycling and walking
- Bicycle gloves
- 2-3 t-shirts or casual sweaters
- Trousers or jeans
- 1-2 pairs of casual socks for when you're not cycling
- 3-5 pairs of underwear (quick drying)
- Wind breaker jacket or rain jacket
- Extra layers and gloves for cold weather (thin, thermal, water resistant)
- Sandals. Especially nice after a long day of cycling shoes/click pedals
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Hand sanitizer
First aid kit or like:
- Mosquito repellent
- Antiseptic cream or antibiotic ointment
- Bandage and 'eight hour cream' for blisters
- Ointment and or blister patches